Sunday, July 7, 2013

Our Heavenly Father's Love

It has been a while since I wrote on this blog.  It isn't that I have given up, which would have been my normal response a month into the battle.  I would have often given up and given in to sin.  But right now, I am feeling strong and continue to fight.  I have now been "sober" for over four weeks.  It has been an awesome and freeing experience thus far and I can't wait for it to continue.  

Today I am sitting in church during Sunday School.  I have decided to use my time during Sunday School to go over the LDS Family Services Addiction Recovery Program guide found here. I know I should be in Sunday School listening to the lesson, but I feel that dedicated time each week focusing on this would be nice.  Being in the church building allows me to have a quiet space free from my son and also to have the Spirit near me.  I think the Lord understands.

One thing I wanted to write about today was a part of the introduction to the recovery guide.  It was talking about the relationship between our Heavenly Father and us.  It was saying that often we are blinded by addiction to the real love of our Heavenly Father.  When we truly understand the love of our Heavenly Father then it will help us overcome the temptations we have.  However, often Satan wants to obscure our relationship with Heavenly Father and make us feel less than worthy.  It ends with a scripture that when we know the truth, "the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32) .  I had a realization that when we know the true nature of our relationship with our Heavenly Father, it will set us free and allow us to overcome our challenges.  I think one of the reason Satan attacks our divine nature is that when we lose sight of our worth, he can attack other areas.  We must know our divine nature and that we are children of God.  This knowledge allows us to really challenge our issues and not let ourselves be less than we are.  That knowledge I feel is key to overcoming addiction.  

Sobriety Date: June 7

Days Sober: 30

No comments:

Post a Comment