I think one of the trademarks of pornography use among LDS men is
the constant struggle to overcome it. Everyone I have ever spoken
to about the problem talks about trying to stop viewing pornography. I,
like most, started using pornography and masturbation while I was a young
man. I would constantly struggle to keep it in check and would always be
fearful of the times where I had to have interviews with my bishop. I
would work on getting it in check to go on temple baptisms, my mission, BYU
ecclesiastical endorsements, etc. I would often get it under control long
enough to feel like I was worthy, inevitably to fail and slip back in it.
These relapses only would cause me to feel like I was hopeless in beating this
problem. Until the last few days, I have
almost been indifferent to the problem and simply accepted it.
As I write this today, I
somewhat feel the same hopelessness I described above. It seems that no matter what I’ve tried, the
problem just doesn’t go away. Sometimes
I blame myself for a lack of trying. Even
when I put forth tons of effort, I may be able to stop indulging for a few
weeks or months. However, it always
comes back. This only causes me to feel hopeless
and reinforces the deceits spread by Satan. I think one of the first things that must
happen in order to tackle this challenge is developing some hope.
Alma taught that in order to develop faith and the word, you
must have a seed which develops. Just like the parable in Alma 32, I have to
start a seed of hope that I can beat this problem. I have to believe that I can do this. Without
that first step, it would be impossible to beat this challenge. I have come to the conclusion that a lack of
faith in the possibility of beating this challenge will result in the status
quo.
But what is different this time?
I don’t know. I have been in
enough counseling, talks with Bishops, and read enough books to know that there
are some steps to take. This time, I am going to reach out to those around me,
and more importantly my Heavenly Father.
The support that comes from others is so critical to succeed. As part of reaching out, I need to be honest
with my wife about my current problems and where I am in the fight. I am going to get some accountability partners
to talk about my struggles. I am going
to read my scriptures more fervently and have more intimate prayers. I worry somewhat about trying to do too much
at one time and thus not doing anything due to being overwhelmed. Just building hope through prayer and
scriptures and reaching out for support is a good starting point. This will help me to start this fight, and my
hope that this is the last start.
No comments:
Post a Comment